I am not going to get details or names in this post.
We are staying in a hotel…someone was able to get us a good rate. The hotel is a fairly high end one.
We have been very disappointed in this hotel since we arrived but for certain reasons it’s not up to us where we stay.
I stated on fb last night that I was going to talk to the gm (general manager) today because something that happened last night was the last straw.
Was told this morning that talking to the gm wouldn’t be a good idea because it could put the person who is helping us job on the line.
Now I feel stuck. Though I do not want to have this person lose their job, I don’t think it’s ok for me to just sit here and say nothing to the manager about how this hotel is being run.
Also, I am very thankful for the help that we have had during this move…do not mistake that at all. If it weren’t for all the help that we have had from people….we wouldn’t be where we are now.
Now with that being said, I don’t think it’s smart to help someone out by placing your job in jeopardy if someone where to find out you were helping. That sounds like a very dumb thing to do. I didn’t know that by accepting this help would be putting this persons job in jeopardy if it leaked that this person helped us.
So what I am thinking of doing is this. Wait until we leave this hotel and then write a letter (no names) to the gm & let him\her know what our experience was with this hotel. That way I am not further putting this persons job on the line & my voice is heard.
This is the best solution that I can think of. I am not that happy about waiting because if this stuff is happening to us then I am sure it’s happening to other guests here. The adult in me will wait though.
Once I write the letter I will update and let you know what the hotel had to say in return. Again, very disappointed in this hotel…..expect much more out of the it then we are getting.